Understanding Grocery Shopping Experience among Older Adults
Our client, who utilizes robot technologies to create products for indoor mobility, was seeking to identify and understand in-store shopping experiences, habits, and needs among older adults when grocery shopping to uncover future product opportunities.
- Secondary research on key food retailers in Japan, as well as trends and cultural insights on grocery shopping
- 2x expert interviews with a specialist in in-store spatial design and a specialist in merchandizing and food procurement in Japanese grocery stores
- 10x shop-alongs and IDI with older adults, aged 65-76 living in the Greater Tokyo area
- Identify key differences in the design of grocery stores and cultural differences unique to Japan
- Uncovered challenges and needs among older adults during their grocery shopping experience
- Informed opportunities for assistive technology to optimize the in-store shopping experiences and support the independence of older adults