Our Market Research Services > Cultural Landscaping
Enhancing your direct-with-consumer qualitative or quantitative primary research
When assessing viable options in markets as complex as Japan, our clients often find it helpful – if not imperative – to secure a well-informed view of the cultural and competitive landscape in addition to listening directly to consumers.
Taking your market research one step further
Our 30+ years of working with international clients seeking to either enter into or leverage the Japanese market have given us much experience in crafting multi-faceted approaches to doing just that, and we delight in combining quantitative and qualitative market research methods that ensure your deepened understanding of customer needs within the context of the existing and emerging business landscape.
Gain an informed view of the competitive context and challenges in Japan
We employ a range of techniques to help you augment and enhance your view of consumers with a well-rounded perspective of the cultural and competitive landscape, including:
- Ongoing, continuous monitoring of macro and micro trends across a number of key product categories (e.g. food and beverages, skincare, OTC and supplements, pharmaceuticals, and gaming) and lifestyle aspects (e.g. work, play, entertainment and leisure, and fashion)
- Secondary research (existing market facts and figures, review of analog and digital promotional materials to produce a market overview report)
- Semiotics analysis
- In-person observation of retail and entertainment experiences via Team Immersion and Safari Tours
- Production of VoxPops Videos that highlight key cultural points and help bring the market alive for you
Customized design - always - to meet your specific market research objectives in Japan
Our consultants are highly experienced in designing and conducting both local Japanese and multi-country regional studies in Asia, and our project managers and analysts are bilingual and bicultural, allowing the best combination of reliable output and truly sensitive synthesis of findings.
Cultural landscaping components can be mixed and matched as needed to meet your market research learning objectives. An example would be a combination of a market overview report, influencer interviews, semiotics analysis and market safari tours. 1,000+-person representation of both genders and 5 age brackets.
This would explore and define the following insights for you:
- Holistic 360-degree market overview of the consumer and market and category
- Macro-driving currents for daily consumer life (both beyond and specific to category)
- Nuances of social context, frameworks and influences in Japan – from consumer, cultural, and market contexts – specific to category
- Case studies of relevant launches both in the category and beyond
- Semiotics analysis focusing on Dominant, Recessive and Emergent visual, language, meaning and metaphoric themes for the category in Japan